Sunday, September 30, 2007

Poppies


I've always liked poppies (I don't know about opium, but poppies have a great color!)

My mother-in-law (who's a great lady, even if just a paysant in a village near Sibiu, Romania) do cultivate them for the seeds she puts in cookies and sometimes she breeds some kind of tea, to help her sleep... I took some pictures in her garden and VoilĂ ! here is the acrylic ink watercolor which resulted (one in a series)...

As usual, a 9" x 12" Fabriano watercolor paper... I've sold it already, but a replica could be even better (I am like the vine, gets better in time...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are nice poppies, Danu, nicely observed. Anybody else would have painted twenty blossoms but you did those strange urns they have after the flowers fall off. Pretty colors too.
100swallows

Ion Vincent Danu said...

Poppies are Very nice!(I mean the real ones; thank to appreciate mine also...) Their velvety red is sometimes more orange, sometimes vermillon, sometimes a bit violet... You can do SERIES of studies in red with poppies as model... Kind of hard to find if you don't go to Afganistan, but then rarity gives value, no?