Thursday, September 13, 2007

Rodrigue, the Cid


Another portrait - this time a bit older (the watercolor as well as the model) of a Sherbrooke inhabitant. An ex-professor at the University, it seems, a very picturesque figure I intitled "Rodrigue, the Cid" in honor of Charlton Heston's movie "The Cid" because the whole portrait had something, let say, "heroic"... Maybe more of a Don Quixotte but still nice...

9" x 12" acrylic ink & watercolor on Fabriano 300 g watercolor paper. Email me if you like this very, very much...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He looks like an ex-professor, somehow - thought, not to promote any "professor stereotypes, he also looks a lot like my maternal grandfather, who was a carpenter. :-) Nice portrait! If I may ask, when you paint portraits, do you ask the people to sit for the entire work, or do you use photos, or both?

Ion Vincent Danu said...

He really WAS a professor... and this one is painted in the park and he was posing all the time (about 30-35 minutes) I've painted it. I use photos only when I have a comission and the model is not availale to pose... When I have a real model I can "catch" some of his soul... usually... As I said, I'm kind of dangerous with a brush or pencil in my hand...

Still hope nobody is gonna take my pencils aways...

Anonymous said...

Maybe you misunderstood me, I LIKE this portrait (and professors...). Don't think you are "dangerous" at all, unless in the sense that all real artists are "dangerous" from point of view of governments, sometimes. So keep those brushes and pencils in hand and keep being artistically "dangerous" Danu, please!

Ion Vincent Danu said...

I was joking, D! and I hope I'm still (a litlle bit) "dangerous" for the "souls" of my models - that I'm kind of able to go (a bit) beyond the appearances... see what I mean?
All the best wishes, D!